Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Wrinkle In Time

Blog #7

A Wrinkle in Time

I am a sucker for a happy ending! In anything! A book, a movie, a song, real life?? So even though this novel was a bit slow at times, overall I enjoyed it! The cover of my book threw me off though! I don’t usually like science fiction books and on the cover all I saw was 3 “normal” people, a weird horse-angel-man thing, and a dark scary face. That being said, I wasn’t thrilled to open the book and get started reading. But much to my surprise, I was immediately drawn in. The first few pages of chapter 1 are so closely related to that of a middle school student. I remember being in middle school and sometimes just feeling like everyone was against me. As Meg lays in bed shivering because of the stormy weather, all her thoughts begin piling up about school and her dropping academic performance, not fitting in with her friends, and getting in a fight after school. These are all realistic things that happen to middle school students and I think they would also be drawn in from the first chapter.

In chapter 2 we start to see Meg’s impatient nature, always wanting an explanation for everything. This is reoccurring throughout the novel and one of the themes is learning that not everything needs an explanation and learning to be content and happy not knowing why everything happens. This is something that I am still learning as a college student. And have been trying to learn my whole life. I am very much an organized person and a planner. That being said, I always want to know why! This can sometimes be a good thing, but not always. Like I said earlier, an explanation is not always need.

In chapter 3, I felt that there was some foreshadowing. When Calvin comes home with Meg and Charles Wallace for dinner, he is touched by the love inside the Murry family and tells Meg that she is lucky to have such a loving family. At the end of the novel, Meg has to find her own weapon that will defeat IT to get her brother back. That weapon is love. To me this shows the reader that love is noticed and loving and being loved is something that can beat anything. As the story progress, Meg, Charles Wallace, and Calvin go on an adventure to rescue Mr. Murry. On their journey, they encounter some interesting things in the end, love conquers all and Mr. Murry is rescued. Meg never gives up on what she wants and always perseveres to complete what she went to do. 

I would not be opposed to using this novel in my classroom, and even if I didn’t, I would recommend this novel to my students, because I think they would get a lot out of reading this, just as I did.

Citation:
L'Engle, M. (2007). A wrinkle in time. New York, NY: Square Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment